Meaning of the MacGyver name
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 April 2008 - 09:54 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



On another forum I found a topic involving the meaning of your name. It is a Dutch site though that gives the meaning of your name. Probably there are other English sites that can give you meaning of names. When I tried mine, it said it meant: the manly one. When I tried MacGyver's name, using his first name though: Angus, it said it's a Scottish or Irish name which means: a choice. So Angus means: a choice. I tried the name MacGyver itself and other variations of the name but it couldn't find anything.

Xena means 'stranger'.
Thomas (as in Thomas Magnum) means the twin brother.
Rambo means Raven but in Japanese though his name means: violence.
Rocky means battle cry.
Indiana 'Henry' Jones means nothing but Henry means: From high circles (just like Harry) and Jones means pigeon.
Jack means God is merciful.
Jackson means son of Jack.
It can't find anything on the name of Murdoc.
Pete means stone, rock, symbol of loyalty.
Richard means brave and mighty.
Dean means valley.
Can't find anything on Anderson.

Just gave a few examples. Of course it al depends on how trustworthy this information all is, there are probably other sites on meaning of names.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 7 April 2008 - 02:08 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



As I understand it the term Mac means "son of", but this web site says that Mac is actually an Irish term. I had actually always thought Mac to be Scottish with the Irish dropping the a to use Mc.

So the name Literally means "son of Gyver".. so who, or what, is a Gyver?

Well according to this web site the name Gyver means gift.

QUOTE (SurnameDB web site)

Recorded in several forms including Guiver, Gyver, and Guyver, this is an English surname. It is believed to be a metronymic or a name which descends from the mothers side of the family, rather than the more usual fathers or patronymic. Howver spelt the surname is quite rare and a development of the Olde English pre 7th Century female personal name "Gifu". This was a word which originally meant a gift.


Wikipedia also mentions similar information about the name Gyver.

QUOTE (Wikipedia)

"Guyver" originally spelt "Gyver" is an old English family name which has been traced back to the death of Richard Gyver in 1544. The family home still exists in Ugley,Essex. An alternative spelling came about when the old English vowel 'Y' was changed to an 'I', so that Tyme became Time,Wyllyam became William and so on. The Guiver branch of the family is now larger than the original Gyver/Guyver side which still uses the old spelling,ie.Guyver



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 7 April 2008 - 05:48 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I went digging all the way back to my own very first post here, late last July, for the following:

"Set the Wayback Machine for the fifth century and after: Ireland and Scotland were both subject to a few centuries of invasion and subsequent settlement from Scandinavia -- the Vikings came to raid, stayed to trade, settled down, built ports, started drinking the local brew and marrying the local girls. That's where the name "MacGyver" comes from. It's from mac (son of) Ivar, or Iver, or Ivor, variations of a relatively common Norse name. From what I've seen, MacGyvers are likely to be Scots, but MacIvers are more likely to be Irish. Even "Angus" isn't strictly Scots – there's an Irish variation of the name, Aengus.

And the Scots and Irish have been crossing back and forth, invading each other, marrying each other, etc., since before the Vikings dropped in, and they haven't stopped yet. Northern Ireland in particular has lots of Scots-descended families, brought over by the English a few centuries back in an attempt to replace the pesky uppity Irish Catholics with, well, slightly less pesky, slightly less uppity Scots Protestants."

Enough self-quotation! But it beats paraphrasing all that.

On your points, Rocky: Irish and Scots Gaelic are very similar; and, as I sketched out, Irish and Scots heritage is incredibly tangled. Mac and Mc appear in both Ireland and Scotland, and neither can be definitively limited to either country. The mutation of the ‘k’ to a more gutteral ‘g’, which turns Mac Ivar into MacGyver, is especially common in the northern British Isles.

You can find MacIvers as well as MacGyvers in both Ireland and Scotland, as well as in the US and Canada (where the Irish and Scots continued to intermarry). I’d still regard that as a far more likely origin that the quite uncommon English name Gyver or Guyver (which could, in fact, be the result of taking the name “MacGyver” and dropping the “Mac” – a plausible course of action for a person who might want to downplay his Scottish origins, which would have been politically and socially astute at that time).

And the MacIver/MacGyver name is about a thousand years older in Scotland and Ireland than Guyver is in England, according to the source you cited.

MGod, Anderson just means Son of Andrew. Scandinavian names hewed rigidly to the -son suffix construction. Icelandic names still do.

It's true that the name Angus can, in fact, be translated from Gaelic as ae [n] gus, which would mean ‘one choice’; but that isn’t necessarily what the name originally meant, any more than the name Jack originally meant a tool for raising cars to change their tires. The name is very old – Aengus mac Og was the name of an Irish god associated with love, poetry, music and magic.

Most Celtic name sources render the name Angus/Aengus to mean “exceptional, outstanding, superb, unique”. I think I'll trust that as a more likely meaning – certainly more apt!

Jones is one of the most common surnames in Wales; better not tell them it means 'pigeon"! biggrin.gif It's usually rendered to be the Welsh version of Johnson (son of John).

Murdoc (also spelled Murdoch) apparently means “sea warrior”, or “sea guardian/protector". That's definitely a name that was chosen for its sound, not its meaning. unsure.gif



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 12:27 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Very cool name study here! I love this kind of stuff. smile.gif Hubby and I chose kiddo's name based on it's meaning, tho we never ventured to figure out what our last name means. wink.gif



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 12:41 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Interesting info. Thanks for clearing some things up MacBeth. smile.gif



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 02:08 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



laugh.gif And here I thought that "MacGyver" meant "he-who-improvises" MacG.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
jackwabbit
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 03:55 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 704
Joined: 8 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



LOL, Lothi!

I second Beth on the twisted tale of Scots, Irish, and the Scots-Irish (or Ulster Scots). My surname is McConnell, and we're Ulster Scot, or so the story goes. A dear friend is a McClannahan, who are as Irish as can be. My maternal grandmother was McClellan, and all of those in the US are thought to be descended from one family that settled in Western Pennsylvania from Ireland. Now, there's lots more mixed in there in this here melting pot country/family, but the name is most definitely from the highlands.



"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 11:44 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacLoth)
laugh.gif  And here I thought that "MacGyver" meant "he-who-improvises"

And Beth probably means "she-who-can't-shut-up-when-it's-a-research-question".



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 11:52 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat




Of course, 'he-who-improvises' is the technical meaning for "MacGyver" , according the the Book of Loth.

The literal meaning is 'hand-me-those-jumper-cables-and-gimme-your-shoelaces... I-got-an-idea'. tongue.gif

wink.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 8 April 2008 - 11:58 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



roller.gif



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
jackwabbit
Posted: 9 April 2008 - 01:55 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 704
Joined: 8 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



roller.gif



"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

 
PM                                                                     
Top
jknnej
Posted: 21 April 2008 - 02:16 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 142
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



There used to be a hockeyplayer with the last name MacIver. I always wondered if that's where they got the title from! Now there's a guy named Thornton on one of the teams...it always makes me smile!



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 22 April 2008 - 01:21 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



The name MacIver is a cognate of MacGyver, but it was RDA who added the obsession with hockey to the character, well after the name had been chosen.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
YopeGyver
Posted: 25 May 2013 - 09:38 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,197
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Indiana
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages, Nightmares
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Very interesting discussion! I guess my name means "Precious Hope Bird" or "precious-hope-that-dwells-near-the-border". tongue.gif

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 7 April 2008 - 06:52 PM)

Of course, 'he-who-improvises' is the technical meaning for "MacGyver" , according the the Book of Loth. 

The literal meaning is 'hand-me-those-jumper-cables-and-gimme-your-shoelaces... I-got-an-idea'.  tongue.gif

wink.gif 

ROFL!!! roller.gif



"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

✈ ✈ ✈
Art

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
AussieMacFan
Posted: 25 May 2013 - 10:54 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 875
Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Australia
SAK owned: Wenger Viking

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Cleo Rocks
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



laugh.gif
Good forum this. smile.gif



"How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?"
-John Lennon


 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll