MacGyver reboot showrunner, Peter Lenkov, has been fired by CBS amid claims that he has created a “toxic working environment”.
Reported today by The Hollywood Reporter, CBS has terminated his overall contract with them and parted ways. Monica Macer will take over as showrunner for MacGyver as it enters its 5th season. Monica was already an executive producer on the show so the move to showrunner should be an easy step for her.
Sources have said that Lenkov had been the subject of at least three complaints alleging that he was manipulative and abusive during his Hawaii-Five-0 10 season run, allegedly having a “boys club” that included favored male employees who regularly gathered to smoke cigars and inappropriately judged the appearance of women in Hawaii. Other sources allege Lenkov would routinely talk down to actors and writers — particularly women and people of color. In one incident, he allegedly mocked a disabled fan and, after a writer objected to his behavior, he attempted to have her fired.
“He isn’t racist or sexist or classist singularly — it’s all of it,” says an insider. “He’s anti-woman, anti-POC, anti-gay, and everything you’d expect. But he’d also torture straight white men if he felt like it.”
Lenkov has issued a statement of his own saying: “Now is the time to listen and I am listening. It’s difficult to hear that the working environment I ran was not the working environment my colleagues deserved, and for that, I am deeply sorry. I accept responsibility for what I am hearing and am committed to doing the work that is required to do better and be better.”
These latest developments also shine new light on the cast and crew of MacGyver who have left under questionable circumstances. The likes of George Eads, Kate Bond, and Jeff Wolfe all left under questionable circumstances and one has to now wonder if this alleged toxic environment had anything to do with these abrupt departures.
What we know so far:
- Peter Lenkov has been fired by CBS and is no longer involved with MacGyver or any other CBS show.
- Monica Macer will take over as showrunner for MacGyver.
- Lenkov is accused of creating a toxic working environment on his shows where anyone considered beneath him would routinely be abused, neglected, and/or belittled by him.
- This alleged behavior is said to have gone on throughout the 10 seasons of H50 and continued into his MacGyver and Magnum PI shows.
- Lenkov has released a statement saying he is listening and learning and accepting responsibility for his actions.