Production No.: 40191-016
Airdate: 19 February 1986
Writer: James Schmerer
Director: Charles Correll
Nielsen Ratings: 15.2 rating / 23 share / 2nd (42th overall)
MacGyver’s quick getaway from Bulgaria with stolen microfilm is stymied by an American who involves him in her lovers’ quarrel with a Bulgarian security officer.
- Richard Dean Anderson broke his right hand while filming the previous episode. The cast on his hand is explained in this episode as the result of a skiing accident in the Swiss Alps.
- The building seen in the opening shot of the episode is the Banya Bashi Mosque in Sofia, Bulgaria which indicates that the episode is set in Bulgaria’s capital city of Sofia.
- We get to see close-ups of MacGyver and Penny Parker passports:
- MacGyver: Birthdate January 23, 1951, birthplace Minnesota, passport issued by Los Angeles Passport Agency on July 31, 1979, expires July 30, 1989
- Penny: Birthdate February 20, 1962, birthplace Iowa, passport issued by New York Passport Agency on April 16, 1985, expires April 15, 1995
- MacGyver’s passport shows his birthday is the same as RDA’s real birthday, but he is one year younger than RDA. This date changed in season two’s Friends episode which showed his birthday as March 23, 1952. This new date became canon and was used from then on throughout the show.
- The distance from the city of Sofia to the border of Greece is 83 miles (133km)
- Teri Hatcher, who was a ‘Bond Girl’ in Tomorrow Never Dies with Pierce Brosnan. She shares this distinction with Kristina Wayborn who was the ‘Bond Girl’ beside Roger Moore’s James Bond in Octopussy.
- And I learned something up in the Swiss Alps. I just shouldn’t go skiing without a parachute. Kinda busted up my vacation, and my hand. -MacGyver
- It’s just like the ride at Disneyland. -Penny
Will you keep your head down? -MacGyver
- That’s the nicest thing anybody ever said to me. -Penny
Well, you’re the nicest person I’ve ever said it to. -MacGyver
- I’ll tell you what’s simple; Me. For getting into that first conversation with Penny Parker. But what else could I do? I mean, a guy just can’t be rude. I mean, how was I to know… how was I to know? -MacGyver
- Well, I went to the ladies’ room and climbed out the window. -Penny
Of course you did. Why do I ask those questions? -MacGyver
- Well, the cliché thing to be done here is for him to blow my kneecaps off. -MacGyver
- You know, I really like you. You understand me. We’re on the same wavelength. -Penny
Well, that worries me. -MacGyver
- There’s that machine, uh, that they used to plow with. -Penny
A trac-tor? -MacGyver
- Are you crazy? -Stephan
It’s been rumored. -MacGyver
- When climbing through the hole in the wall onto the conveyer belt we see Mac and Penny are only a few feet away from the exit flaps and the area is well light. When the camera angle changes suddenly the area is much darker and they are much further away from the exit.