Production No.: 40191-012
Airdate: 15 January 1986
Writer: James Schmerer
Director: Cliff Bole
Nielsen Ratings: 15.9 rating / 23 share / 2nd (34th overall)
After arriving back from an East German mission to retrieve a list of information for the DXS, MacGyver and Pete are ambushed by East German agents. Pete is wounded and MacGyver is kidnapped and injected with a serum which will kill him in 6 hours time unless he tells his captures where he hid the stolen list in return for which they will give him the antidote. MacGyver promptly escapes from them and as the serum begins to take its painful and hallucinogenic hold on him, is helped by Lisa Allen, a run-away he’d helped earlier to catch a fish at the docks.
- MacGyver arrives in the San Pedro harbor on a ship called the Gemstone
- This is the first episode where we see MacGyver working for Pete Thornton.
- This episode is the first time we hear about the “bonus” MacGyver gets for completing assignments.
- MacGyver’s “bonus” for this episode was a government scholarship for Lisa.
- There has been some debate over the years as to whether Neilson refers to Pete as Thornton or Colton (Colton was the character Dana Elcar played in the pilot episode ) However if you listen carefully you can hear the name Thornton, but the actors fake German-like accent does make it easy to mishear what is being said. Also later in the episode, MacGyver calls him Pete Thornton so it’s very unlikely they would get the name wrong for one scene.
- The opening “present day” scene of the ‘Wishmaster’ movie, which Tammy Lauren also stared in, was filmed in the same spot as her fishing scene (her first scene) in this episode.
- “It’s a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On the other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody.” – MacGyver
- You know, seaweed’s not considered to be the best lure for fishing. – MacGyver
- My grandfather use to say “You just gotta think like a fish.” – MacGyver
“Yeah but does it work?” – Lisa
“Ultimately it’s up to the fish I think”. – MacGyver
- “The East Germans are just a little bit hot over this one” – Pete
“Nice to know my works appreciated.” – MacGyver
- “I don’t believe it. You are an officer of the law. I can tell.” – MacGyver
- Hey, look guys . . . I’ve got this thing about needles . . . Here’s an idea: why don’t you just try dripping water on my forehead? The old rubber hose and bright light trick? – MacGyver
The list. – Nielson
Hypnotism – it’s been known to work – MacGyver
- Bein’ told when you’re gonna die kinda puts a little pressure on you. – MacGyver
- One time, when I was a kid, I built a slingshot out of a couple of broken hockey sticks and an old inner tube. And you know, no matter how hard I practiced I just could never miss . . my neighbor’s window. – MacGyver
- I got school books; I’m gonna get a diploma. I’m gonna make something of myself . . . I don’t know exactly what. – Lisa
How about success? – MacGyver
- I hope you know what you’re doing. – Lisa
Me too. – MacGyver
- Like the magician said: a little misdirection never hurt. – MacGyver
- The alarm reset button is on the top in one scene and on the bottom in the next scene.
- The bundle of money being counted by the bad guys is blank on one side.
- As Mac falls after being hit by the bad policeman, his eyes are red, the same as they are when he’s drugged. Then in the next scene, they are clear again. (the scene is a cut from a later scene when Mac falls and is found by Lisa).
- Pete is shot in his left arm; however, later he is shown with his right arm in a sling.